Specific instruction for doing a bone broth fast.
1. Prepare your bone broth as instructed. I have 3 options to choose from. They are as follows:
A) This is my preferred option because it allows all the proper nutrients in the best ratios for turning your body into a fat burning machine. See my recipes here:
- Beef Bone Broth
- Southwestern Chipotle Chicken Bone Broth
- Tomato, Garlic and Basil Bone Broth
- Garlic and Herb Bone Broth
- Chicken Enchilada Bone Broth
B) If you don’t want to make your own I recommend getting kettle and fire brand bone broth found here. Follow the instructions below to get the optimal nutrition and ratios for your fast.
- After you heat this bone broth up you will need to puree in some fresh kale and spinach. I recommend doing 1 1/2 cup of each in 5 cups of bone broth. This will give you your 40 ounces for your daily intake during your 8 hour eating window.
C) If you prefer a bone broth powder. This is my least favorite option because you have to add more stuff to it to adjust the nutrition even more than the other options. But I understand that not everyone cares for the taste of bone broth. I recommend getting ancient nutrition brand found here:
- If you choose to use the powder you will have to add fresh spinach, kale, and a healthy fat. You can use either coconut oil or MCT oil.
- Follow directions on your container for your ratios of powder per cup of water. Make 5 cups for your daily intake. Add your MCT oil as directed on the container. Add 1 1/2 cups of both fresh kale and spinach and puree in a blender. This will give you your 40 ounces for your daily intake.
- It is important to make sure your adding the healthy fat and fresh vegetables. You need to nutrition that they provide.
2. I recommend watching these videos about bone broth fasting and nutrition. Although it’s optional of course.
Dr. Nick Zyrowski– Bone Broth Fast Benefits / Uncover The Shocking Benefits.
- Dr Josh Axe – How To Do a Bone Broth Fast (Good info, but I do a little bit different method)
- Dr Jordan Ruben and Dr Jay Davidson – Is Bone Broth protein Worth the Hype?
- This last video is NOT about bone broth, but it’s principles are what I am trying to teach with the bone broth fasting. The bone broth, when made correctly, has close to the same ratios talked about in this video. Also when your preparing your broth for the day I recommend blending it with fresh kale and spinach. You need the nutrients and fiber from pureeing the fresh greens into your broth. You also need to make sure you have healthy fat in your broth, which is why I recommend buying meat with fat, skin, cartilage and bones. You need to be drinking the fat along with your broth, don’t skim it off. This combination makes your broth perfect for kicking your body into high fat burning mode while providing you with all the nutrients your body needs. Dr Berg goes into a little bit of depth about ratios to turn kick your body into a fat burning machine in his video – 5 extreme weight loss hacks.
3. If you would like to join in for coaching and group fasts, join my ketosis roadmap group on Face Book. Choose the Friday or Monday group and leave a comment so I know who is in each group. There are separate posts for each group and they are labeled at the top with the day and date. Look through the posts and make sure you’re in the right place.
4. In the morning of the start day record your weight, and do your measurements so you can track your progress. I will leave a printable measurement chart in each group to use as a guide and record for your measurements. If there is an area that is a trouble area for you, feel free to measure that area as well, and use your sheet to record it.
5. The fast is set up as a 16/8 fast. – This means that for 16 hours (most of which is while your sleeping…hopefully 8 hours) you will only be drinking water. You will have an 8 hour “eating window”. During your 8 hour eating window you can consume up to 40 oz of bone broth per day, as well as 32 oz of ketorade (optional) The recipes are here: Ketorade ACV Drink and Green Ketorade ACV Drink. (ACV = Apple Cider Vinegar)
- An example of this is as follows: My eating window is from 11:00 am until 7:00 pm. So before 11:00 am and after 7:00 pm is when I only drink water. Between those hours is when I drink my bone broth and ketorade. I don’t do specific meal times, I just drink when I am hungry. If you find you can’t consume that much during your eating window then that is okay as well. Be sure to drink your bone broth instead of the ketorade if your not going to be able to, or you don’t want to finish both. The broth is more important.
- Both of these drinks are detox drinks. But the ketorade is highly potent and may have a laxative effect, especially if you are not used to drinking an ACV drink. The first time you drink this you may want to make sure you don’t have plans to go anywhere, just in case 💩 happens!
- If constipation is a problem for you on keto, the green ACV ketorade is your answer!!! I think you get the point. 😉
6. You can drink water anytime during your 16/8 fast period. I don’t care how much, how often, or when you drink water. Go for it, drink away, it’s only water!!
7. NO DAIRY products are to be consumed during your 3 day fast, it’s bone broth, ketorade, and water ONLY! I can’t stress the importance of this step!! I mean it NO DAIRY at all, and NO snacks!! This really isn’t as hard as it sounds since you should not be hungry and if you are, drink more broth.
8. If at the end of your 8 hour eating window you find that your are still hungry you can consume a couple of addition cups of bone broth or water only. No more Ketorade at this point!
9. For my bullet proof coffee drinkers you can sub your coffee for the ketorade up to 40 oz ( so you can do 20 oz coffee and 20 oz ketorade if you feel the need. However, the less you drink of these the better). Don’t add dairy of any kind to your coffee. So no butter, creamer or HWC, instead sub MCT oil, butter flavored coconut oil or drink it black.
10. Any questions please feel free to drop them in the comments, I’d be happy to clarify something for you if you need me to. You can comment here or in my facebook group. If you run into any kind of trouble, please leave a comment and I will do what I can to figure out how to tweak your regimen to help with whatever your having trouble with. I seem to lack the mind reading super power, so if you don’t tell me, I won’t know if something is wrong.
11. The bone broth makes an excellent pre and post workout drink since it promotes muscle growth and fat burning.
12. With a little bit of determination and dedication you can do anything! Your health and well being is worth 3 days!!! Good luck!
BONE BROTH SCIENCE:
The protein, but more specifically the amino acids in the bone broth promote muscle growth, so no autophagy (muscle loss) of healthy tissue will occur during your fast, your body will however destroy damaged tissue and replace it with healthy tissue. By adding certain types of vegetables to your broth you will be adding vitamins and other nurtients. ACV is used when making the broth to assist in extracting all the nutrients from the bones and vegetables, assisting your body with digestion of dietary fats, helps balance your stomach pH, increase stomach and intestinal health, as well as other health benefits. I add fresh grated ginger for added stomach health in my green ketorade drink. Lastly I add in Pink sea salt for added trace minerals and electrolytes, making this a nutritionally complete detox and weight loss tool.